Empower Playgrounds, Inc. enhances educational opportunities for children in deprived villages by providing renewable energy through electricity-generating playground equipment, smart LED lanterns, and hands-on science kits.
We Build Merry-Go-Rounds That Generate Electricity
Since 2007, Empower Playgrounds, Inc has installed 40 merry-go-rounds at schools all over Ghana, West Africa. Our merry-go-rounds generate renewable energy that charges lanterns which children can use in their classrooms and homes to study at night.
What We've Achieved
- 55 Merry-Go-Rounds (MGR) that Generate electricity at 50 schools in Ghana, 1 in Burkina Faso and 2 in Mali
- EPI MGRs serve 17,000 children
- 5 million hours of light generated and used from the MGR
- 55 Village Solar Project homes serving a communities on 3 islands on the Volta lake
- We have delivered 1000 Science Kits to 50 schools since 2008
- 4 Boreholes serving 4 communities with a total of 2000 people
- 4 BioFil units serving 4 communities with a total of 1,300 people
- 4 School Building Construction projects to support the increased enrollment from the merry-go-round
- 6 School libraries installed
- 3 Girls scholarship student recipients