Empower Playgrounds, Inc. enhances educational opportunities for children in deprived villages by providing renewable energy through electricity-generating playground equipment, smart LED lanterns, and hands-on science kits.
We Build Merry-Go-Rounds That Generate Electricity
Since 2007, Empower Playgrounds, Inc has installed 40 merry-go-rounds at schools all over Ghana, West Africa. Our merry-go-rounds generate renewable energy that charges lanterns which children can use in their classrooms and homes to study at night.
What We've Achieved
- 48 Merry-Go-Rounds (MGR) that Generate electricity at 47 schools in Ghana and 1 in Mali
- EPI MGRs serve 15,000 children
- 3.5 million hours of light generated and used from the MGR
- 1 Light-A-Village pilot project serving a community of 2,000
- We have delivered 500 Science Kits to 48 schools since 2008
- 2 Boreholes serving 2 communities with a total of 2000 people
- 2 BioFil units serving 2 communities with a total of 1,300 people
- 1 School Building Construction project in Bahankra to support the increased enrollment from the merry-go-round